Tuesday, March 18, 2008

welcome to Lancaster Sen. Clinton, I wish I could have watched it on TV.

There is nothing like seeing someone famous speak in the flesh. However, risking your health is hardly worth it, as though I agreed much with what Sen. Clinton had to say tonight, I still felt like it was just another political speech to arouse people into thinking she is change, and even though she says she'll create change, no matter who's in office, positive change has yet to come with all the obstacles that will be put up ahead.

I went with two good friends around 4:15 p.m. and arrived around 4:35 p.m. a buddy of one of my friends tried to get us in near the door, but that didn't go over well with some people behind us who bitched and moaned to get us to move to the back, citing "it's fair" and acting as if they're much more entitled to see Hillary speak over us, yeah whatever, I'll say you represent one of the big problems of a capitalist society, the sense of "entitlement" without truly doing anything to earn it, oh better yet, I'd say you represent an even worse aspect of American people in general, the all to pervasive childish sense of entitlement.
I'm sure they would have extended such courtesy to their friends. (Or should I say former friends)

After waiting for two and a half hours in the rain, wind and cold, my party and at least 150 others were turned away from going inside Pucillo Gym. Oh yes, my friends and I complained, thinking of fun questions to ask Hillary, one friend joked that we better not ask anything "controversial" so as to avoid getting tazered or something, my other friend and I said in unison "don't taze me bro!" and laughed.

While in line, I felt the need to "draw" with my finger in the dust on the side of a trailer some things I felt at the time, namely, we need universal single payer health care, as well as "end ALL wars" and my personal favorite "FUCK CAPITALISM!"

A handful of Ron Paul supporters came out to remind people that he's still in the running, including a good friend of mine who started to say "I love you like a brother Alvie, but I can't believe you're out here" I told him it was for class, he replied, "okay that makes sense" it was good to see him all the same, as I don't see him much at all these days. Thankfully all were good guests of the school as no one had any issues with either side.

Despite the weather, I like Hillary's speech, I agree much of what she thinks will be positive change for America's future, even if it's not my vision, she offers a good a positive vision. However, not one person no matter how tenacious can truly correct all the wrongs of not just the current administration, but relationships and lifestyles of the past that will not be sustainable for the future, all of which cannot be truly addressed well in one term, or even two.

My article as I wrote it, blemishes and all:

America can initiate positive change when confronting any issue, “we are going to feel good about the country!” said New York Senator Hillary Clinton in a speech she gave on her campaign tour through Lancaster County Pennsylvania.

Sen. Clinton spoke about issues of concern to Pennsylvanian’s at Millersville University’s Pucillo Gym, Tuesday March 18th at 7 p.m. to approximately 3000-people inside and outside the gym who waited 4-hours or more to see her speak despite the gray and dreary weather that afternoon.

Sen. Clinton delivered an energized and positive speech that covered a broad variety of topics that she promises to address if elected President. Major issues Sen. Clinton discussed ranged from economics (namely oil prices, and housing) to addressing other social issues such as the war in Iraq, education, and healthcare. Saying she as president will address such issues to improve America’s ability to compete and succeed in the global economy. That will help ensure a better future for the environment, national security and America’s children. Sen. Clinton said she intends to do as such by creating incentives for companies to stay here in the U.S. to produce goods and services.

Discussing current housing issues, Sen. Clinton plans a moratorium on housing foreclosures and work on addressing the institutions that helped create these problems in the first place.

Addressing high gas and oil prices and America’s unstable sources of oil, Sen. Clinton said, “we will no longer hold hands with the Saudis, we will hold them accountable!” discussing the need for America to develop cleaner alternative energy sources here at home that will free us from importing petroleum from unstable parts of the world, create more jobs at home, and improve our national and environmental security, by creating “smart investments in clean energy” to help us achieve those goals.

Sen. Clinton discussed America’s healthcare problems, saying first off that she would immediately bring up the stem cell research bill that President Bush vetoed and bring that back to life to fully exploit the potential that stem cell research holds. Improving America’s healthcare is “a moral and economic challenge” promising to increase healthcare funding so that more Americans can afford proper healthcare that can help keep minor medical issues from becoming major issues.

Senator Clinton concluded her speech to a raucous applause over her message that we can all work together to create positive change for America and the world.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like her speech was pretty general. You could have read any of that information on her blog, and I don't assume the speech was that "energizing" unless you're already on her side of the fence (you infer these things, but don't really come out and say them). Obama's speeches might be a little more exciting, but in all reality they are repeats, too - if you've seen one online, don't waste your time. And I say this as an Obama supporter.
Anyway, your outline of her speech does give the reader a good idea of what she's about, but you don't really criticize the formation of the speech or any fallacies she may have used. You just say that the changes she claims to be able to make are too broad for one or two terms in a society against change. This is a legitimate argument, but I don't think it really disparages Hillary in any way or is a proper criticism of her recent speech in Lancaster, specifically. She's going to run regardless.
Also, while I liked the personal anecdotal writing, your situation doesn't criticize Hillary's speech or her as a person, either. It just means that the venue was poorly run, there were too many people, and it was a bad day outside. On that note, rainy days are for staying inside. period. :P
If your "article" is just supposed to be a summary, then I stand corrected on criticizing it the little I have. Something I can say to compliment - it was concise, easy to read, and had powerful adjectives (ex: raucous).

Alvious said...

It was for a class, and to the best of my knowledge, was not supposed to be critical.

Unknown said...

Ah, that makes sense then. You did seem kind of in a hissy about other things, though (in the acecdotal portion, which I assume was not turned in with your paper). Ex: the "gimme, gimme!" nature of American culture.

Cheers!

Alvious said...

Correct, only the part below where I made the comment about my piece blemishes and all. And yeah, I was not in a good mood after coming home, though I won't blame Hillary for the bad weather and my less then joyous mood.