Television is not evil, it is merely a communication medium used to transmit pictures and sound simultaneously, and for some it is mesmerizing to just sit and watch it. It can put people in a dream state satisfying a need to go from our own reality to another so wrote Buhner.
I do not hate television, I choose to watch very little of it, and having lived in a house with no television, much less satellite hookup and video game consoles, to not have another one around is much more satisfying then any premium TV-subscription can offer.
How about my favorite shows? Netflix and other streaming sites satisfy that 'need'.
Here's a post I wrote on my 43things about watching less TV:
I paid attention to the idea I may just be watching TV without much purpose. It's one thing to schedule time for something you love watching, it is another to sit there and flip through channels hoping against hope something good is on. When I noticed I did to much of the latter for comfort, I avoided turning on the TV and found other things to do, like read books, organize get together time with friends, write, ride my bicycle, or other things I loved doing. In short, I would make time for shows I liked to watch, but made much less time for just channel surfing. And in time, once noticing more and more the repetitive patterns TV shows often share. I did not even tune in to watch my favorite shows after awhile, I had seen enough episodes to get the point, and I had outgrown quite a few of the shows I loved as a kid, giving me less incentive to watch.
Never much of a video game player, foregoing TV is certainly easier when you do not play video games much.
I declined having a TV in my bedroom, also chose to spend less time in parts of the house where TVs were usually watched.
Living with others who love TV make the goal a challenge, but it is still worthwhile. You can set an example, only watching favorite shows together, or just not watching at all.
Figure out first off, what are your favorite shows, or any specials you think you will find interesting and make time for them. Just limiting TV time to only your favorite shows will help you watch less TV. Overtime, you might watch those shows less and less especially if they are reruns.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment