Subject lines never my forte, so bear with me.
Finally, it is time to write something:
As many readers know, for the first time in 2-years I am working on a farm for fun, and free food rather then a living. My living is and for the foreseeable future remains the bakery. Yay for consistency! Oh yeah, I gather a bit here and there from sales of stuff on eBay and Craigslist.
Initially hesitant towards getting my hands dirty working with mother Gaia. I acquiesce after partaking in some farm projects, discovering this will truly be different. A real community effort where we work mainly to produce food for ourselves and not our customers, though some produce will be sold to help pay for start up and costs of production next year.
On another note: I am now part of the initiating group for Transition Lancaster. I became interested in discussing transition in seeing how just focusing on green technology and shifting our consumption habits to green stuff is not the way to go. I know about peak oil, and I know that with the world's oil consumption, and the fact that we are likely to endure horrific shortages first, and not have a science fiction world of solar panels and wind turbines powering everything.
Green goods are useful yes. Though regardless of recycled content, we still need substantial energy to get those materials to us.
Despite the increased environmental awareness experienced lately. Our society as a whole sees green as optional, and a fringe thing. It shouldn't be. It should be mainstream, but the mainstream needs to change. Even if every piece of clothing in the mall is organic cotton, and all the lights showing them off are CFLs, and you drive there in a Prius, this is hardly progress. The mall culture even if greened up is hardly an aspect of the past we want to maintain. As green consumerism is still that consumerism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment