Saturday, September 13, 2008

Farewell Fukuoka san

Masanobu Fukuoka, pioneer in the movement towards sustainable farming passes away August 16, 2008. The news hurt when I finally heard it myself. I had never met Fukuoka San, but during the last few months of a beautiful life devoted to improving quality of life for people everywhere, I got to learn a hands on approach to the use of his techniques to practice his radical method of farming. I posted information earlier in this blog, around April of 2008. To learn even one bit of the most sustainable method of farming became tremendously empowering. The beauty of Fukuoka's methodology is that the poorest farmers in the world can be empowered through using his methods, since his methods require no machines, and not even that significant an amount of labor.

The farm, five acres of land in Lancaster county, the only 'natural farm' in Lancaster this author can report on at this time (would love to hear of any others!)

For more information on Fukuoka's methods, I'll refer you to this site:
http://fukuokafarmingol.info/fover.html

No comments: