Taking advantage of some lovely weather, oh so conducive to riding I pull out the Bridgestone, my cycling gear including the jersey, shorts, gloves and of course that pair of bike shoes with the cleats you cannot walk in. Packing as well my toolset and patch kit I take a short ride to Ridley Creek Park in Delaware County with the lovely 4-mile biking/walking trail along the creek of the same name.
The ride itself is pretty uneventful until I pull out from the park to break for water and check over the bike. Hmm... the tires could use some air I think and pull out the pump, and reinflate the rear first to the PSI listed on the tire. Works well even with a handpump until I see the tire bulge from the rim. So, deflate tire, reseat and inflate the tire. Okay so far, so good until I work on the first one, a minute later I look back, tire is bulging from the rim again, it looks worse and before I could hit the stem to deflate it goes POP! It's done for, no way to fix it now, and if you noticed in reading the first paragraph the one thing I did not bring with me: my cell phone.
So, instead of whining about it, off go my bike shoes (you really can't walk in road bike shoes with cleats) and start walking back to my house. Think positive, this can be an adventure, yes indeed shivering in bike clothing, walking barefoot on a paved road, getting a perspective of the wealthy Delco suburbs unseen until now. And for good reason, there are few shoulders, much less sidewalks.
Pride gets the better of me as after a half-hour of walking on pavement, discovering that walking on the white lines is a little easier on the feet, I refuse to bother anyone despite the number of houses I pass, and initially hesistant to signal someone for help. Acquiessing when a man in a sedan stops and we load the bike into the car for the last couple miles to go. Thanking the man, even offering money for the favor, he declines the money but still drives me back to the house.
So what is learned from such an experience? never forego riding without a cell phone for starters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment