To cap off the last month touched by winter and welcome warmer weather and the return of the leaves on the trees a friend and I embark on a bike ride.
A few miles outside Lancaster, hills feel steeper than they did before. Carrying extra dead weight from cold months of sedentary activity, focused on arts, the mind and not my fitness. Suffice to say, the ride would be harder than originally thought.
The place? Undecided at first, then we agreed: The Pinnacle. Hundreds of feet over the Susquehanna, and a gorgeous place to hike once there. Also, a nice trip through lovely, lovely southern Lancaster county.
The trip up the Pinnacle, Lancaster's highest point proved harder than thought. The Bridgestone's drive-train, with it's nice long crank-arms and what I thought were nice low range cogs and chain-rings that handled hills in Delaware County, felt way to high on the hills in Southern Lancaster County. The hills won in my case, I unlocked from the pedals and walked the bike. At first in the shoes, which are still not walking shoes and finally barefoot. The roads weren't so rough to walk in, though it killed the pace as the buildup of lactic acid finally got to me and forced me off the bike as well as the steep hills.
(yeah, the hills in SoLanCo are babies compared to some, but I'm not part of the pro-peleton so leaveth me alone!)
Despite the lactic acid, lack of breath and the hills, I carried on. My friend, much more in shape than me, tired as well, could keep going. Cycling back, we rested, ate banana and granola, still wanting to truck on. The Pinnacle is becoming gorgeous at this time as we finally arrive. Staying 30-40 minutes, not sure exactly.
Oh the descent back! Descents are my strong point, thanks to a heavier frame I always fly down any hill without real effort. Marvelous the feeling always, yet scary at the same time. The tires are training tires, light and quick, but not the strongest. Always the worry of a blowout or other accident flying down these hills. Yet, they never failed.
On the ride back, the ascents, though not as hard as before, still present challenges as I'm definitely not as energetic as before. The lactic acid and shortness of breath are still apparent. Not thrilling I imagine my friend who patiently waits as I hold him up from getting back to lovely Lancaster. But we trek on. The ride back still takes much less time than the ride there.
In the future, another ride there.
Thoughts on this ride after-wards:
Ordered another cassette for the rear wheel, something with a few more teeth to better handle the ascents. Speeding up the hills is not my goal, just getting up them.
The tires used, the racing tires mentioned earlier, are wonderful on smooth roads, but I'm thinking beefier, slightly thicker tires are in order eventually.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment