Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What to write...

when you do not feel like writing?

Alvious the writer, his thoughts on coal power, bicycle parts and green living have been put out here already.

How about something I haven't written about yet? Hippie holidays back to back! April 20th, the infamous 4/20 for fans of what is in some circles a medicinal spiritual herb and others an evil, evil substance that only corrupts youth and destroys society. Very persuasive arguments exist arguing for legalization, which I am a supporter, since American society discovered long ago alcohol legalization, with regulation, became a boost, not drain to our economy.

After that holiday, is of course Earth Day 4/22 tomorrow on Thursday.

This invites some reflections on Earth Days past and present.
My plans for this Earth Day? Ride my back, maybe go farming, here's hoping, and enjoy that.

I first really remember learning what Earth Day means some 15-years ago. Then a young Eartho-phile, (yes, I made that up) much like the writer of this blog, age 10+1. Influenced by age appropriate books showing humanities disregard for our planet and the people, animals and plants thereof. Another influence, thanks to Cartoon Network reruns, came in the form of earth! fire! wind! water! heart! with the combined powers of these annoying, but goodhearted, teenagers we get Captain Planet! These teenagers fought flat, exaggerated capitalists, working to wreck the environment for their own benefit.

The show always, kind of bland, flat and dorky overall, never failed to entertain. Or did it? Entertain without much intelligence and insight for sure, but whatever! Still fun stuff!

The worst Earth Day ever?
April 22 2005, I wrecked a car, and felt like shit for a long time, on top of other difficulties in my life from the time. Getting to see Sin City, one of my all-time favorite movies that night helped me feel a bit better. I loved the movie, but still felt awful for a while. So far, no car accidents, my fault or otherwise, a serious bike accident since then, so I take that as a real blessing, as the whole ordeal rather sucked.

Best Earth Day? Not sure, the first one I remember was kind of fun thanks to the Captain Planet marathon mentioned earlier. Two years ago: did farm work with two great friends and got a job offer to do my summer stint with DigIt! A valuable opportunity, that really taught me a lot about myself. Though very stressful.

No comments: