Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Time for a blog, my new obsession

CDs, not my first format, that had actually been audio-cassettes, I liked those okay, though rewinding and finding particular tracks could be a hold-back. But oh CDs! We take much for granted now that Compact Disc enabled us to enjoy. Being able to select tracks and shuffle/randomize our music is something you could not do with your music until the format premiered in the year I came into the world: 1983. Indeed only digital music, MP3s or such allow you to do that.

My predominant music format, for a long time I imagine, is MP3 as I've spent many years acquiring MP3s from numerous sources, including kind friends and lovely torrent streams. However, upon even casually listening to CDs played through friend's stereos it had been real easy to detect just how much better the audio quality is. Granted high bit-rate MP3 or loss-less audio files will sound excellent, but I've never had the software to handle those. But CDs though, that's now going to be my format, as I really love the significantly better sound quality no matter where I listen to them, car, computer, home stereo, I just find the sound so much richer and more pleasing overall and because of that forsaking MP3s. I'm keeping all of my MP3s though as it'll be a long time before I can have all I do have on CD, and not everything I want to put on CD.

No comments: